April 10, 2011

Life Flies By

I've been slow to post lately, but that doesn't mean that life has been slow. Quite the opposite. Lots has happened in the past few weeks.

Michael Burns, director of the program, turned 70, and we celebrated with a big party. Woodworkers from years past, as far back as 30 years ago, showed up to join the festivities. It was great to share our projects with alumni as they reminisced about their time at CR.


Michael is also retiring this year. He helped to create the fine woodworking program and has had a steady hand in it ever since. On Saturday he announced that the new director is Laura Mays (a woman!). She seems incredibly accomplished, professional, astute, and competent. Krenov's philosophy is evident in her work, but she isn't afraid to take a risk and push outside the box. I encourage you to check out her website


Only five weeks are left in the program, and as time draws to a close, reality is starting to creep back into my life. I've spent a lot of time contemplating where I want to be and what I want to be doing. I plan to continue woodworking in some capacity, but I have to get a job to pay off my mounds of student debt. I have two soft job offers in Los Angeles, but I'm not sure I want to go back to LA. That being said, that's where my friends are and I miss them dearly. I suppose at this point, I'm open to just about anything.


Finally, my table is starting to come together. I have the base roughed out, and the table top is assembled. Now I need to fit the joinery, do the final shaping, attach the base to the top, and do the finishing work. Lots to be done!



1 comment:

  1. Get your access to 16,000 woodworking plans.

    Teds Woodworking has more than 16,000 woodworking plans with STEP-BY-STEP instructions, pictures and diagrams to make all projects easy and simple!

    ReplyDelete