October 25, 2010

The Door is Almost Done

It's been a while since I've posted anything wood shop related, probably because it takes an exorbitant amount of time for most things to happen. This is a function of assimilating incredible amounts of new information and of the attention to detail and near-perfection that our instructors expect of us. More than 100 hours later, the front door of my jewelry cabinet is almost done. If everything goes according to plan, I should have it glued-up tomorrow morning. The door has seen a number of mistakes and repairs. In this order in the photos below, I had to 1) repair the slot that I cut into the wrong side of my frame member, 2) saw off and reaffix a poorly shaped tenon, 3) glue a shaving to fatten up a poorly fitted tenon, 4) patch tear-out on the end of my redwood panel. And after all that, I (almost!) have a door.

The door, pre-finish
Sight down the top of the rail. Do you see the repair?
New ends on the tenon
Shaving on the tenon
Tear-out in the bottom right-hand corner

1 comment:

  1. Mistakes are a part of woodworking and should be embraced. It's great that you are making them at school where you have the support to recover and learn from them.

    I hear you met one of my best friends, Devin Thamer, who brought some wood to the school recently.

    The door is looking great!

    David

    ReplyDelete